Science and Engineering at McGill and Queen’s Universities and the University of Toronto, 1880s to 1920s

Type of resource
Author/collaborator
Title
Science and Engineering at McGill and Queen’s Universities and the University of Toronto, 1880s to 1920s
Abstract
An examination of how university education in Canada was transformed when engineering and applied sciences became academic subjects around the turn of the twentieth century. Two institutions were established in 1878 to teach engineers: in Toronto, a School of Practical Science, and in Montreal, a department of Applied Science at McGill College. However, only in the 1890s did these come to be of some importance, and they were then joined by a School of Mining which began at Queen's College in 1893. By 1914, all three had become integral parts of relatively large universities which possessed resources far beyond the expectations of twenty years earlier. Ties to the United States were also established by the end of the nineteenth century through professional societies, an important one being the Society for the Promotion of Engineering Education, begun in 1893.
Type
PhD dissertation
University
Queen’s University
Place
Kingston, ON
Date
1992
Language
en
Citation
Creet, Mario. “Science and Engineering at McGill and Queen’s Universities and the University of Toronto, 1880s to 1920s.” PhD dissertation, Queen’s University, 1992.
Find in a library
Permalink