The English Language in the Congrégation de Notre Dame of Montreal from the 17th Century

Type of resource
Author/collaborator
Title
The English Language in the Congrégation de Notre Dame of Montreal from the 17th Century
Abstract
Founded by Marguerite Bourgeoys in 1671, the Sisters of the Order of the Congregation of Notre Dame was the leading educators of Catholic girls, both Francophones and Anglophones, in Quebec until the 1960s. In 1823, English was given place on the official program of studies in the schools operated by the Order, and the author notes that "the formal introduction of ... the English language found English-speaking pupils and English-speaking teachers awaiting this recognition of their mother-tongue." Several of the Order's boarding schools, such as Montreal's Villa Maria, had English-speaking sections.
Type
Master's Thesis
University
Université de Montréal
Place
Montréal
Date
1939
Language
en
Citation
Sister St. Brendan. “The English Language in the Congrégation de Notre Dame of Montreal from the 17th Century.” Master’s Thesis, Université de Montréal, 1939.
Find in a library
Permalink