The History of the High School of Montreal

Type of resource
Authors/collaborators
Title
The History of the High School of Montreal
Abstract
Founded on the Scottish model, the High School of Montreal replaced the Royal Grammar School in 1843, with the Rev. George F. Simpson as its first Rector. The direction of the High School was transferred to McGill University in 1853, when it was renamed the High School of McGill College, but in 1870 the School passed under the jurisdiction of the Protestant Board of School Commissioners and was again called the High School of Montreal. It was one of the first publicly-financed high schools for Anglophones in the Montreal area. In 1914, after relocating five times, the High School of Montreal moved to a building north of Sherbrooke Street, near the McGill University campus. The school's high-level curriculum guided youth toward the liberal professions or higher education. In accordance with the ideology of the time, it maintained facilities essential to the development of both body and mind: a swimming pool, gymnasium, shooting gallery, library, auditorium, game rooms and a planetarium. Girls and boys studied in separate wings but were together for extracurricular activities. The High School for Girls formed a separate division from 1875 to 1965. Two of the authors (Rexford and Gammell) were rectors of the school.
Place
Montreal
Publisher
The Old Boys' Association of the High School of Montreal
Date
1951
Language
en
Citation
Rexford, Elson Irving, Isaac Gammell, and A. R. McBain. The History of the High School of Montreal. Montreal: The Old Boys’ Association of the High School of Montreal, 1951.
Find in a library
Permalink