Tall Ships and Tankers: The History of the Davie Shipbuilders

Type of resource
Author/collaborator
Title
Tall Ships and Tankers: The History of the Davie Shipbuilders
Abstract
The Davie shipyard, located on the south shore of the St. Lawrence River across from Quebec City, was founded in 1825 by Allison Davie (1796-1836). Following Allison Davie's death, the company was headed by his wife Elizabeth Davie until 1850, when his son George Taylor Davie (1828-1907) changed the company name to "George T. Davie & Sons". In 1914, the company's name was again changed to "Davie Shipbuilding & Repairing". The author follows the many subsequent management and ownership changes of the shipyard to the 1990s, including the company being sold to Canada Steamship Lines in 1929, and to Societé de Construction Navale in 1976. The company is now operated as Chantier Davie Canada Inc.
Place
Toronto, ON
Publisher
McClelland & Stewart
Date
1997
Language
en
Citation
Marcil, Eileen Reid. Tall Ships and Tankers: The History of the Davie Shipbuilders. Toronto, ON: McClelland & Stewart, 1997.
Find in a library
Permalink