A History of the Department of Biochemistry at McGill University

Type of resource
Author/collaborator
Title
A History of the Department of Biochemistry at McGill University
Abstract
The Department of Biochemistry at McGill University was inaugurated in 1907, close to a century after the Medical School was founded. The roots of the Department, however, can be found at the very beginning of the Medical School in 1829. Because several of the founding faculty members of the Medical School were educated in Edinburgh, McGill's early medical program bore the imprint of the Edinburgh school - particularly in the importance placed on instruction in chemistry and on basic research. This survey of the development of a university department is structured on the succession of department chairs, and describes how the Department's scientific, pedagogical, and administrative activities were influenced by the particular abilities and dispositions of the individuals who were at the helm.
Publication
CSMCB/SCBBMC Bulletin
Pages
56-62
Date
2003
Language
en
URL
Citation
Johnstone, Rose. “A History of the Department of Biochemistry at McGill University.” CSMCB/SCBBMC Bulletin (2003): 56–62. https://www.csmb-scbm.ca/bulletin/pdf/Bulletin03/McGillUniv56-62.pdf.
Find in a library
Permalink