Le franc-maçonnerie à Frelighsburg / Freemasonry in Frelighsburg

Type of resource
Author/collaborator
Title
Le franc-maçonnerie à Frelighsburg / Freemasonry in Frelighsburg
Abstract
The roots of Freemasonry in the Eastern Townships village of Frelighsburg date back to 1801 when the Master of the "Select Surveyors Lodge" (surveyors from British Army engineering regiments laying out the townships and trying to define the international boundary line) requested that members meet at Frelighsburg's Ackley's Tavern. The first official Lodge in the village was formed in 1813, known as "Prevost Lodge". This Lodge lapsed in 1830. In 1868 the "Frelighsburg Lodge" was formed and lasted for over 130 years, but declining number and low attendance at meetings persuaded members to amalgamate with the "Stanbridge Lodge", founded in 1858 in the neighbouring village of Stanbridge East. The author outlines tenets of Freemasonry, as well as the Freemasons's involvement in community life of Frelighsburg.
Place
Frelighsburg, QC
Publisher
Société d'histoire et de patrimoine de Frelighsburg
Date
2015
Language
fr
Citation
Blizzard, William Terry. Le franc-maçonnerie à Frelighsburg / Freemasonry in Frelighsburg. Frelighsburg, QC: Société d’histoire et de patrimoine de Frelighsburg, 2015.
Find in a library
Permalink