La famille Hale

Type of resource
Author/collaborator
Title
La famille Hale
Abstract
The Hale family's connection to Quebec City spanned three generations. Colonel John Hale (1728-1806) commanded the 47th Foot Regiment during the British Conquest of Quebec. His son, also named John (1765-1838), came to Quebec in 1799 as deputy paymaster general of the British troops stationed in the Canadas. After leaving the army, he was named Inspector General of Public Accounts in 1807 and Receiver General in 1823. He also served on the Legislative Council, acted as a Justice of the Peace, served as President of the Quebec Savings Bank, and purchased the 130,000-acre seigneury of Sainte-Anne de la Pérade in 1819. His son Edward (1800-1875) settled in the Sherbrooke region and founded the Sherbrooke Cotton Factory in 1844. He was elected to the Legislative Assembly (1841-1847) and later sat as a member of the Legislative Council (1867-1875). Another of John's sons, Jeffery (1803-1864), devoted himself to improving education and the plight of the poor in Quebec City. He founded several schools including the Free Chapel Sunday School, and in his will bequeathed 9,000 pounds for the foundation of a hospital in Quebec City, the future hôpital Jeffery Hale.
Publication
Cap-aux-Diamants
Volume
Vol. 4
Issue
no. 3
Pages
54
Date
Automne 1988
Language
fr
URL
Citation
Tremblay, Sylvie. “La famille Hale.” Cap-aux-Diamants Vol. 4, no. 3 (Automne 1988): 54. https://www.erudit.org/en/journals/cd/1988-v4-n3-cd1040880/7288ac.pdf.
Find in a library
Permalink