Une communauté en transition : la Petite Italie de Montréal

Type of resource
Author/collaborator
Title
Une communauté en transition : la Petite Italie de Montréal
Abstract
The first wave of Italian immigrants to Montreal in the early decades of the twentieth century lived south of Saint Catherine Street between St-Laurent and St-Denis. The parish of Notre Dame de Mont Carmel was founded in 1905 to serve their religious needs. In the 1920s and 1930s and immediately following the Second World War, there was an Italian community in the Mile End district around the parish of Madonna della Difesa. In the late 1950s and 1960s, Jean Talon and St. Laurent became largely an Italian enclave, known as “Little Italy”. From the 1960s onward, St. Leonard became the area of choice for upwardly mobile Montrealers of Italian descent.
Publication
Bulletin du Regroupement des chercheurs-chercheures en histoire des travailleurs et travailleuses du Québec
Volume
Vol. 28
Issue
no. 1
Pages
9-13
Date
Printemps 2002
Language
fr
Citation
Del Balso, Michael. “Une communauté en transition : la Petite Italie de Montréal.” Bulletin du Regroupement des chercheurs-chercheures en histoire des travailleurs et travailleuses du Québec Vol. 28, no. 1 (Printemps 2002): 9–13.
Find in a library
Permalink