The History of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Montreal

Type of resource
Author/collaborator
Title
The History of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Montreal
Abstract
The Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Montreal was founded in 1917 by Maxwell Goldstein (1863-1939). Since that then, the name has changed three times: Federation of Jewish Community Services in 1951, Allied Jewish Community Services in 1965 and the Federation CJA in 1997. The Federation was founded to be a single voice for the social agencies and organizations in Jewish Montreal and also to help raise enough money to support all of the work of those organizations. The original twelve social agencies were: Baron de Hirsch Institute; Mount Sinai Sanitorium; Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Society; Herzl Dispensary and Hospital; Montreal Orphans’ Home; Montreal Hebrew Sheltering Home; Ladies Jewish Endeavour Sewing Society; Young Women’s Hebrew Association; Beth Israel Day Nursery and Infants’ Home; Hebrew Ladies Aid Society; and Friendly League of Jewish Women.
Type
PhD dissertation
University
Yeshiva University
Place
New York, NY
Date
1974
Language
en
Citation
Zeitz, Mordecai E. “The History of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Montreal.” PhD dissertation, Yeshiva University, 1974.
Find in a library
Permalink