Chronicles of the St. James St. Methodist Church, Montreal, from the First Rise of Methodism in Montreal to the Laying of the Corner-Stone of the New Church on St. Catherine Street

Type of resource
Author/collaborator
Title
Chronicles of the St. James St. Methodist Church, Montreal, from the First Rise of Methodism in Montreal to the Laying of the Corner-Stone of the New Church on St. Catherine Street
Abstract
A history of the founding of the Methodist movement in Quebec as well as the history of Montreal's St. James Church. A Methodist congregation in Montreal officially dates from 1803 when the Rev. Joseph Sawyer visited the city, but a small group of seven members had been in existence for seventeen years prior to Sawyer's visit, without ministerial oversight. The congregation moved four times during its history; its final church, built between 1887 and 1888, is on St. Catherine Street. At the time of construction, it was the largest Methodist church in Canada with seating for more than 2,000. In 1925 the Methodists in Canada joined with the Congregationalists and most Presbyterians to form the United Church of Canada. The church is now known as St. James United Church. In 1926, commercial buildings were erected in front of the church on a "temporary" basis to provide the congregation with income. The commercial buildings were demolished in 2006.
Place
Toronto, ON
Publisher
William Briggs
Date
1888
Language
en
URL
Citation
Jacques, G. E. Chronicles of the St. James St. Methodist Church, Montreal, from the First Rise of Methodism in Montreal to the Laying of the Corner-Stone of the New Church on St. Catherine Street. Toronto, ON: William Briggs, 1888. https://archive.org/stream/chroniclesofstja00jaquuoft#page/n7/mode/2up.
Find in a library
Permalink