Early Methodists in Upper and Lower Canada: A Canadian History of the Methodist Episcopal Church, 1759-1828

Type of resource
Author/collaborator
Title
Early Methodists in Upper and Lower Canada: A Canadian History of the Methodist Episcopal Church, 1759-1828
Abstract
The first Methodist preacher in Lower Canada was a Mr. Tuffey, a Commissary of the 44th regiment, which came to Quebec City in 1780, who began to preach to the soldiers and Protestant emigrants of that city, and continued to do so until his regiment was disbanded and he returned home. The first Methodist itinerant in Lower Canada was an eccentric character, Lorenzo Dow, called "Crazy Dow." He was sent in 1799 to form a new circuit in the vicinity of Missisquoi Bay. He travelled through Durham and Sutton townships, made his way to Montreal, and sailed downriver to Quebec. He believed that the Lord had called him to visit Ireland, and while waiting for a vessel to cross the sea, began to preach. He is reported to have gathered a congregation of about 150. The first Methodist church in Canada was built in Montreal. The building, begun in 1807 and completed in 1809, stood on St. Sulpice Street.
Place
Picton, ON
Publisher
K.J. Crawford
Date
1989
Language
en
Citation
Crawford, Kenneth James. Early Methodists in Upper and Lower Canada: A Canadian History of the Methodist Episcopal Church, 1759-1828. Picton, ON: K.J. Crawford, 1989.
Find in a library
Permalink