St. Andrew's Church (Presbyterian) Quebec: An Historical Sketch of the Church and its Ministers

Type of resource
Author/collaborator
Title
St. Andrew's Church (Presbyterian) Quebec: An Historical Sketch of the Church and its Ministers
Abstract
Quebec City's St. Andrew's Church is the oldest English-speaking congregation of Scottish origin in Canada. It traces its roots back to the soldiers of the Fraser Highlanders regiment who participated in the British capture of the city in 1759. With the Peace Treaty of 1763, and the coming of merchants from Scotland and New England, the congregation assumed civilian status and was known as the Scotch Congregation - in connection with the Church of Scotland. In 1802, in response to a petition signed by 148 persons, the present Church site was granted by His Majesty George III, and construction began in 1809. The Church was dedicated on November 30, 1810, and remains virtually unchanged except for the addition of the Vestry in 1900. The congregation is also known for two of its famous ministers: Dr. Alexander Spark (1762-1819), the congregation's third minister, an eccentric but exceptionally brilliant man who ministered from 1784 until 1819; and Dr. John Cook (1805-1892), Minister from 1836 until 1883. Dr. Cook was the first Moderator of The Presbyterian Church in Canada (when the four Presbyterian bodies in Canada united), and also served as a Principal and later Chancellor of Queen's University in Kingston, and Principal of Quebec City's Morrin College from its formation in 1862 until his death in 1892.
Place
Quebec
Publisher
Chronicle-Telegraph Co.
Date
1928
Language
en
Citation
Stewart, Robert. St. Andrew’s Church (Presbyterian) Quebec: An Historical Sketch of the Church and Its Ministers. Quebec: Chronicle-Telegraph Co., 1928.
Find in a library
Permalink