Remembering the Negro Community Centre: An Introduction

Type of resource
Author/collaborator
Title
Remembering the Negro Community Centre: An Introduction
Abstract
Montreal's Negro Community Centre (NCC) was founded in Little Burgundy in 1927, and served the city's English-speaking Black community as a cultural and recreational hub until 1992. The building was demolished in 2014. The author, a member of Concordia University's History Department and co-director of the university's Centre for Oral History and Digital Storytelling, describes a 2017 undergraduate course he taught, titled "Telling Stories", where students used the NCC's textual and photographic archives, now located at Concordia's Library, to tell the history of Black Montreal and the Little Burgundy community where most of the Anglophone Black community lived until the 1970s.
Publication
Quebec Heritage News
Volume
Vol. 12
Issue
no. 1
Pages
7-8
Date
Winter 2018
Language
en
Notes

See related article by Désirée Rochat and Alexandra Milles. "Activating Community Archives: The Negro Community Centre / Charles H. Este Cultural Centre Fonds." Quebec Heritage News. Vol. 12, no. 1 (Winter 2018): 9-10.

Citation
High, Steven. “Remembering the Negro Community Centre: An Introduction.” Quebec Heritage News Vol. 12, no. 1 (Winter 2018): 7–8.
Find in a library
Permalink