Catholic Post-Secondary Education in English-Speaking Canada

Type of resource
Author/collaborator
Title
Catholic Post-Secondary Education in English-Speaking Canada
Abstract
Includes information on the history and development of Loyola College (now part of Concordia University) and Marianopolis College (now a private CEGEP). Loyola College was founded in 1896 as an English-language program of the Jesuit Collège Sainte-Marie de Montréal. Although founded as a collège classique, Loyola began granting university degrees through Université Laval as early as 1906. By 1940 Loyola became a four-year university, although it never obtained its own charter, granting its degrees through Laval or, after 1920, the Université de Montréal. In 1974 it merged with Sir George Williams University to become Concordia University. Marianopolis was established in 1908 by the Congrégation de Notre-Dame and was originally known as Notre Dame Ladies College, a bilingual school and the first institution of higher learning for English Catholic women in Quebec. The school was renamed Marguerite Bourgeoys College in 1926. During World War II, its English sector's curriculum was named Marianopolis and reorganized along the lines of English-language universities to include programs in general science and honours chemistry. In 1969, following educational changes in Quebec, Marianopolis phased out its university-degree programs and admitted its first students to a CEGEP-equivalent program. Also that year, Marianopolis began accepting male students.
Place
Toronto, ON
Publisher
University of Toronto Press
Date
1971
Language
en
Citation
Shook, Laurence K. Catholic Post-Secondary Education in English-Speaking Canada. Toronto, ON: University of Toronto Press, 1971.
Find in a library
Permalink