The Fraser-Hickson Library: An Informal History

Type of resource
Author/collaborator
Title
The Fraser-Hickson Library: An Informal History
Abstract
The history of one of Montreal's first public libraries, dating to 1885. In 1870 local businessman Hugh Fraser left $200,000 to establish a library dedicated to "the diffusion of knowledge by affording free access to all desiring it." For seventy years, the Fraser Institute was located in downtown Montreal. In 1956 the Fraser Institute received a bequest of $1 million from professor J.W.A. Hickson and three years later it moved to Notre-Dame-de-Grâce. The library was then called The Fraser-Hickson Library. In 2007, facing financial difficulties, the library sold its building and put its over 200,000 books and materials into storage. Only its home delivery service for the mobility impaired continued to operate. The author includes information on Hugh Fraser, as well as a brief summary of library facilities in nineteenth-century Montreal.
Place
London, England
Publisher
Clive Bingley
Date
1977
Language
en
Citation
Moodey, Edgar C. The Fraser-Hickson Library: An Informal History. London, England: Clive Bingley, 1977.
Find in a library
Permalink