The Notman House and Garden: Heritage Partly Protected

Type of resource
Author/collaborator
Title
The Notman House and Garden: Heritage Partly Protected
Abstract
Montreal's Notman House, a Greek Revival building at 51 Sherbrooke Street West, was built in 1845 under the architectural direction of John Wells (1789-1864). The building, with its extensive lawns and gardens, became known as the Notman House when Montreal photographer William Notman (1826-1891) and his family acquired the property in 1876 and lived there until 1891. The property was then acquired by industrialist and financier Sir George Drummond (1829-1910), who donated the property to the Sisters of St. John, and order of Anglican Nuns who operated the house until 1991 as palliative care hospice. The author points out that in 1976, the house was listed as an historic monument by the Quebec Government, but not the adjacent garden. She notes that while the house has been leased to the non-profit OSMO Foundation and recently renovated, the grounds have become overgrown and strewn with debris.
Publication
Quebec Heritage News
Volume
Vol. 10
Issue
no. 2
Pages
8-9
Date
Spring 2016
Language
en
Citation
Stock, Sandra. “The Notman House and Garden: Heritage Partly Protected.” Quebec Heritage News Vol. 10, no. 2 (Spring 2016): 8–9.
Find in a library
Permalink